So many of you have left comments to tell me how much my Design Guide series has helped you with decorating your home. A few of your favorite design guide posts have included tips on Styling a Sectional Sofa and Key Measurements To Know When Decorating. And my Color Rules posts has helped you confidently decorate with color.
Today’s post continues to deliver tips and how-to’s for decorating and focuses on lamp shades. I’m giving you an overview of lamp shades styles and tips on picking the right size shade for your lamp.
Lamps are a key element in any room design and can make or break the style of a room. Continue reading for my Lamp Shade 101 Design Guide…
Design Guide: LAMP SHADES 101
Now that you know the difference between lamp shade styles, you need to know how to pick the right size shade for your lamp. While this formula is not a one-size-fits-all rule, it works in most cases and will ensure your lamp looks its best. If you have a retro style lamp, play around with the proportions between the lamp and the shade to get the desired look you want.
FIVE Lamp Styling Tips:
- Don’t be afraid to mix lamp styles within a room. In a larger room where you have multiple table lamps, the bases don’t all have to be the same. Different types of bases add interest. To create cohesion, top them all with the same shaped shades.
- Light three of the four corners within a room. This will give you ample lighting to make the space feel cozy and inviting.
- In a bedroom, you want the bottom of the shade to be a little below your line of sight, or about 16 to 18 inches from the top of the mattress.
- If you have a long cabinet or table and want to use two lamps on it, separate them by two or three feet. That way the light is better distributed in the room.
- If you are getting bored with your perfectly good lamp, try changing the shade for a different look. #budgetdecorating
I hope you enjoyed todays post. I’ve got a whole list of Design Guide topics to share with you in the future. If there is a specific design area you’d like me to address, just leave me a comment and I’ll include it in future post.